Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Radish & Mint Sandwiches

Oh man. Remember when I used to post about every other day? I haven't been out of town or anything. I haven't even stopped cooking, although you may want to brace yourself for a slew of posts on the joys of fabulous sandwiches - for example, I've had the world's best BLTs twice this week, but more on that later - once I get around to it. The pictures just keep piling up on the hard drive, and doing something about them seems disproportionally momentous (it was probably the five thousand cat photos from my vacation that did me in) and so nothing really gets done.

Radish & Mint Sandwich

Except, as I said, sandwiches. I'll have something on egg sandwiches and BLTs and some other things later (see, I'm writing that here in the vain hope that something will happen) but for now let's talk about the ones I actually took, edited and uploaded pictures of, namely these radish and mint ones. The original recipe was for tea sandwiches which is all very good if you want something dainty and thin and deceptively light-looking, and it's not that I didn't, but accomplishing thin-enough slices of bread just felt beyond me, and besides I happen to like this dark, partly whole-grain, pre-sliced bread, both for its taste and because it looks pretty next to the vibrantly colored radishes.

Radish & Mint Sandwich


You know what would be the greatest thing since sliced bread, though? Thinly sliced bread. Again, if you live somewhere with easy access to said commodity, please don't tell me about it unless said place is Helsinki, Finland. Sometimes people talking about their groceries makes me want to cry. If you happened to have a recipe for a basic sandwich loaf (preferably not-completely-white) that is easily sliceable and doesn't crumble, that is a different story altogether. I have great faith in my kitchen cooling down to temperatures at which I could justify turning on the oven again. Maybe in November.

Anyway. Radishes. Mint. Bit of mayo mixed with lemon peel (and juice) and salt and pepper. Sliced bread. Enjoy.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds lovely. I know just what you mean about grocery (shopping in general too, for me) depression...it can make me bitterly homesick. I've been wondering, since you blog a lot in English, are you a native Finn? I'm an American (the one who emailed you about the smoked pork shank, which I still can't get my hands on!) living in Stockholm.

Mia said...

Oh, you still haven't found it? How awful! The thing is, you'll probably have better luck in the winter (at least here the market hall was just packed with pork shanks in February, because that's the season for pea soup). And I am a native Finn (a natively Swedish-speaking one, though) but I got sucked into the internet thing at an early stage, wound up moving in English-speaking zones here and just continued as I started out.

evinrude said...

Oh the sandwich looks great deinin! I think the radishes look so pretty between the greens and bread, though I've yet to taste the pretty little things. I love mayo with lemon juice and peel too! Or sour cream =)

thepassionatecook said...

this looks delicious! i do agree on the bread front (with the exception of a fresh, crusty baguette, torn in pieces and consumed just as is... mmmhhh! other than that, thin is best, for bread just as for cold meats... but those good slicers are so darn expensive!

Meri, Helsinki said...

Oumai, oumai, oumai. Suljin äskön epostin niin vikkelään, että sätti män samaan syssyyn hyviä öitäkään toivottamatta. Kauniita unia siis täällä! Nyt koisiin. Nähdään. :-) PS. resepti on fab.

Andreea said...

sandwiches can sometimes be just about the best 'food' there is :)

Jeanne said...

Mmm, those look fab. I love mint on sandwiches and the crunch of radishes would work so well. In South Africa, every supermarket had (still has??) a bread slicer by the bakery section, into which you coud load a whole loaf of bread and then set how thin you wanted it sliced. Wonder why such things are't more popular in supermarkets? I haven't seen one in Britain...

Jeanne said...

Oh, and I meant to add OMG-she's-telling-my-life-story-about-the-hard-drive-filling-up-with-unedited-photos!! I'm so finicky when it comes to editing photos that a batch of ten can easily take me all night, so I also sit with this huge backlog of photos and posts, and never enough time :(

Suzanne said...

I've been quite happy with this rye bread's ability to be sliced thin.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that makes me laugh - now that I'm back in Australia, I'm desperate to find Finnish style sourdough rye bread rolls - but back over in Helsinki I'd visit Stockmann's supermarket just to get English muffins!